Dungeon World

Post details about games you are willing to run at the club.

Moderators: Site Admins, Site Moderators

Xiavn
Site Admin

Dungeon World

Post by Xiavn » Sun May 22, 2016 8:39 pm

The darkness was all encompassing as the rain beat down upon the battered deck of The Icebound Prince. The winds screamed their battle cry as they whipped harshly past the figure stood at the prow, wrapped up tightly in a dark woollen cloak. The figure remained unmoved as the crew of the ship hurried about their business, shouting orders that were whipped away by the harsh, icy winds as soon as they left chapped and broken lips. As the storm deepened, and waves began to crash down onto the enfeebled crew, the figure still remained, calm, unmoving, looking out upon the inky blankness. To the north, lightning cut through the sky, illuminating the vague silhouette of a far off mountain chain, and his mouth twisted into a wry smile just as the harsh, guttural sound of wrenching wood and human screams rang out through the night as the ships mast came crashing down onto the deck.

I've been interested in running a game of Dungeon World for a while, specifically one with an emphasis on wilderness exploration and adventure. Ideally I'd be looking for 4 or so players who would be interested in exploring the cold harsh wilderness of the lost island you find yourself shipwrecked upon. Dungeon World is a very narrative game (it's a Powered by the Apocalypse game- so if you've ever played Apocalypse World or any of it's hacks, you'll find it similar), but if that sounds all new to you don't worry, it's a pretty rules light game with an emphasis on storytelling and simple dice mechanics (all dice rolls boil down to 2d6 + stat, on a 10+ you get what you want, on 7-9, you succeed, but with a cost, and on a 6 or below you're in trouble). Players have a lot of influence on the shape of the story and world, and my goal with this game is to run something very open and sandboxy. You'd be playing a group of adventurers, survivors of a brutal shipwreck, that has left you and a collection of merchants/tradesman/commoners/etc abandoned on an island that hasn't seen habitation for a long while and seems to determined to keep you locked within it's icy grasp.

Open to a one or two month rotation, and flexible on player numbers although Dungeon World tends to perform better with no more than around 5.

Ravenpolar
Master of Coin

Re: Dungeon World

Post by Ravenpolar » Sun May 22, 2016 9:07 pm

interested! :)

andyl

Post by andyl » Mon May 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Interested depending on what else is running

One thing to note is that Dungeon World (like most of the PbtA games) has strong niche protection. So there will only one of each class in the party - at least if we are playing by the book.

Ismael

Post by Ismael » Mon May 23, 2016 5:57 pm

I am in! DW is supercool! Before the year ends I will definitely GM some PbtA too for sure!

Hex

Post by Hex » Tue May 24, 2016 9:48 am

Not sure what this niche protection thing is all about. Are we talking old-school MMO style one tank, one healer, one caster, one melee, thou shalt not hybrid here?
And did you exchange,
A walk-on part in the war,
For a lead role in a cage?

andyl

Post by andyl » Tue May 24, 2016 7:14 pm

Hex wrote:Not sure what this niche protection thing is all about. Are we talking old-school MMO style one tank, one healer, one caster, one melee, thou shalt not hybrid here?
No just that there can only be one Fighter in the party. Or one Wizard, one Thief. etc. Your fighter might or might not be a tank but they are the only Fighter. That doesn't mean other characters can't fight effectively they can, they just aren't the Fighter. The Cleric might or might not worship a Healing god, might or might not have healing magic, but they will be the only Cleric in the party.

Note this only applies at the start of the game. If you die it is possible for your new character to duplicate a class already in the party if you wish - but you will be starting at first level.

Ravenpolar
Master of Coin

Post by Ravenpolar » Tue May 24, 2016 7:44 pm

So what is to actually stop you having two fighters to start off with? or two clerics or whatever?

Captain Fluffy
Club Chairman

Post by Captain Fluffy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Ravenpolar wrote:So what is to actually stop you having two fighters to start off with? or two clerics or whatever?
There's nothing to stop you. Obviously its an RPG you can ignore whatever rules you want. It just goes against the spirit somewhat. As far as I can tell all of the PbtA games are strong on niche protection (the idea that your character will always have something that only they can do or that they can always do best) but generally offer enough classes so make it a feature and not a restriction.
Give me more fluff and less rules

Captain Fluffy
Club Chairman

Post by Captain Fluffy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:30 pm

....and I forgot to add that I would be up for Dungeon world or another PbtA game as I have been wanting to try it for a while.
Give me more fluff and less rules

Xiavn
Site Admin

Post by Xiavn » Wed May 25, 2016 8:40 am

Captain Fluffy wrote:
Ravenpolar wrote:So what is to actually stop you having two fighters to start off with? or two clerics or whatever?
There's nothing to stop you. Obviously its an RPG you can ignore whatever rules you want. It just goes against the spirit somewhat. As far as I can tell all of the PbtA games are strong on niche protection (the idea that your character will always have something that only they can do or that they can always do best) but generally offer enough classes so make it a feature and not a restriction.
Dungeon WWorld's niche protection is slightly looser than other PbtA, if you die and reroll a new character you are allowed to choose a class already being used, but at creation they say not too. According to Sage (one of the creators) the main reason for this is simply they found at creation that the same class right out of the gate is more similar than people wanted - for instance two fighters right out the gate are both going to all be about their special weapon and theirs bonds about protecting people and fighting. Give it a few sessions (hell or even one) and bonds will have shifted and the characters will have some depth.

He suggests you could have more than one if you really wanted to, but you would definitely have to really focus at the beginning to give them different bonds, perhaps writing an alternative list. Which I guess is why they went with the standard only one of everything rule at the beginning just to make things easier.

If you'd like to see an actual example of a game Adam (the other GM) ran a one shot for roll20 you can see here. It shows off the character creation experience pretty well, probably much better tha I can explain. Basically most class books have limited choices you make at the start which are then fleshed out during a Q&A session with the GM where we establish more about why you're here and are how you are - there's a big emphasis on players helping to create the world and history.

As an aside I will probably be using Perilous Wilds which is a supplement that leans towards wilderness adventure and is highly recommended in the community. This offers slightly different rules for things like followers and travel. It shouldn't effect character creation but I wanted to make you guys aware just in case you read the srd of watch a playthrough before the game and suddenly I'm telling you things differently.

Ravenpolar
Master of Coin

Post by Ravenpolar » Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 am

thanks Stuart and Leanne, that actually helps a lot for me as i have the DW book (and worlds in peril) and reading it, I have never been able to "get" the game.
Understanding the niche protection and why its done, I can now see the drive for the game much better. Basically its these bonds which seem to hang together and create a more immersive experience

andyl

Post by andyl » Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 am

Ravenpolar wrote:thanks Stuart and Leanne, that actually helps a lot for me as i have the DW book (and worlds in peril) and reading it, I have never been able to "get" the game.
Understanding the niche protection and why its done, I can now see the drive for the game much better. Basically its these bonds which seem to hang together and create a more immersive experience
Yes it is one of the things that drives ongoing narrative.

The other big thing with a lot of PbtA games (including DW) is the first session. Anything other than a con game usually has the GM asking questions of each player (well their characters) and listening to their answers (and any questions they may have) and using that to help establish the world and the fiction.

Hex

Post by Hex » Wed May 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Interesting stuff guys, thank you. I'd be interested in giving this a go.
And did you exchange,
A walk-on part in the war,
For a lead role in a cage?